For the third part of our business seminar series, Making it in America, we held a panel discussion about how to become successful at selling and distribution in the US. We also discussed main differences between sales strategies in Sweden and in the US.
The speakers on the panel were; Tomas Jegeus, Co-President of 20th Century Fox International; Stina Ehrensvärd, CEO and Founder of Yubico; Thomas Persson, Founder of TD Consulting/ Infomercial Marketer and Pelle Nilsson, Founding Partner of B-Reel & B-Reel Films. Lotta Alsén, President of SACC-GLA and Founder & CEO of Quickenings, was the moderator. Sales, Marketing and Distribution were discussed from several perspectives, such as strategic marketing channels, business expansion, personal relationships as well as the influence of social media.
We thank our speakers for their valuable expertise and advice and we thank all of you who attended the seminar and hope you enjoyed it! If you did not make it to the seminar, we hope to see you at our next business seminar.
Below you will find some key notes about the 5 most important things to think about in order to become successful in sales and distribution in the U.S.:
1. People have less patience in the U.S. In Europe people are willing to wait.
2. Speak out loud and be confident, but don’t forget to be nice and humble. It’s all about selling and building relationships.
3. You have to know your product, market and customers. There are no geographical boundaries anymore, you have to segment your customers on other parameters.
4. Be passionate or have something that is truly unique. Position yourself as the underdog and/ or the new kid on the block. People in the U.S like to be the first to find the “new” company/product.
5. Take the customers’ point of view and focus on what the they want. There is always a gap in the market and it’s your job to find it.